Friday 4 May 2007

Family relationships are awe-inspiring.

Family relationships are awe-inspiring. It's amazing how a mother feels instant love, affection and protection for her child as soon as it's born, even before it is born. To everyone else it's a shrivelled up slimy shreiking creature with no personality, nothing to give or offer. It's amazing how a man and woman who have had completely separate upbringings, separate lives, separate set of ideals and dreams and aspirations - fundamentally strangers - can come together and experience feelings and emotions never felt before until he cannot imagine life without her in it and vice versa, until they think how was it possible this man/woman was not in their life all these years.

The mother/child and husband/wife relationship is more profound to me than others. It's natural; God made a mother so - if you wanna be scientific about it, I suppose maternal proptection is necessary for the continuation of the species. And God put mercy and affection between a husband and wife. Despite it being the "norm" it doesn't fail to make one wonder. I remember when I was studying philosophy of religion in college we discussed what a miracle means. Many philosophers defined anything that happens out of the ordinary (ie defying natural law) thus indicating God's intervention as a miracle. Of course I didn't agree with that as God doesn't "defy" natural law; natural law is His law and He does as He wills, not bound by anything. His actions can be witnessed in everything in the universe, including natural law, hence the most "normal" things can be viewed as miracles, like a baby being born. Or the love between a husband and wife.

I was flicking through some womens' magazines a few weeks ago and noticed the stories that most struck me were "imbalances" in these natural yet miraculous aspects of human relationships. For example parents dumping and disowning non-adult children, cheating on spouses etc. Things like that don't make sense to me, I conclude that these people are seriously disturbed and abnormal. They don't have what Allah puts in humans - and even animals - naturally. Closer to my own observations and experience, it saddens and even depresses me when I see children treating their parents like crap, thus completely disregarding the huuuge burden on us as children to do birr towards them. I hold my hands up and admit I'm far from an exemplary daughter and I don't excuse that when I say there's a difference between failing due to weakness and failing due to absolute disregard. Likewise when I see parents mess up their kids' marriage and thus their life for their own selfish reasons - aren't parents the one people who should love and sacrifice unconditionally? Similarly when I see husbands having very little or no mercy and love for the woman who has sacrificed and undergone hardship for him... It doesn't make sense to me. Love, care, consideration, compassion towards at least our children, spouses, parents is it not?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fool marvels at the exceptional, but a wise man marvels at the commonplace.

Saabirah said...

....did someone just call me wise....?

hema said...

it's obviously someone who doesn't know you very well, don't worry:)

it doesn't make sense to me either, but i guess all we can do is look after our own actions and rememeber that is all we our going to be judged by.

it also saddens me the way people are so concerned with their own rights instead of worrying about the rights they owe others. eg men stating that the wife should obey them, and women stating she is entitled to her own accomodation. i'm not saying these things aren't important, of course they are, but it seems to me that the wisdom and beauty behind the laws is that if followed correctly, they lead to perfect harmony. eg if the woman relaised that her key to paradise was obeying her husband, and the husband realised how important it is to keep his wife happy and treat her in the best possible way.