Sunday 3 June 2007

True, false or "it depends"?

I didn't get through most of the stuff I wanted to. Some new sisters came to the circle including some recent reverts masha'Allah and the introductions took up a bit of time. I'm gonna finish it next week insha'Allah but I'll put the true/false questions up now and put the answers in next time insha'Allah. Anyone's welcome to have a go or ask me further about them if they're unable to attend the circle.

  1. Zakah is for the poor only.
  2. Zakah is an annual charity.
  3. Zakah is 2.5% of all wealth.
  4. Zakah was made obligatory is Makkah, not later on in Madinah.
  5. No-one can be forced to give zakah.
  6. People in the UK don’t really need zakah; the real poor are in "third world" countries.
  7. Slaves don’t have to pay zakah.
  8. Children don’t have to pay zakah.
  9. The mentally deficient do not have to pay zakah.
  10. Those in debt do not have to pay zakah.
  11. There is no zakah to be paid on inheritance money.
  12. If I give zakah to a charity and they lose it or give it to the wrong person I have to re-pay that zakah.
  13. If wealth has been in your possession for a solar year and above the nisab, zakah is obligatory.
  14. The nisab is fixed and doesn’t change from year to year.
  15. Anyone who doesn’t pay zakah has apostated.
  16. Zakah is only obligatory on some luxuries, not the necessities or essentials of life.
  17. All types of agricultural produce have zakah levied on them.
  18. If I buy a car with the intention of selling it but use it in the meantime before a good price is offered, I have to pay zakah if a year passes.
  19. If I buy a car with the intention to use it but also intend if a good price is offered I will consider selling it, I have to pay zakah if a year passes.
  20. If I put my house up for sale and thus it is on the market, I have to pay zakah on the selling value after the hawl passes even if it hasn’t been sold yet and even if I’m still living in it or renting it out.
  21. If I have a business I have to pay zakah on my profits as well as the value of my stock, if a year passes and it is above the nisab.
  22. One should combine the value of all their wealth – jewellery, cash in hand, cash in the bank, income from rent, inheritance money, antiques, cattle etc and then work our the overall zakah.
  23. Zakah money can be used to aid poor people to get married.
  24. Zakah is not obligatory on wealth that has been earned in a haram way.
  25. If you did not pay zakah on your wealth when you were not practising you should estimate how much you should have paid and pay it.
  26. Zakah does not have to be paid on money that is being saved for e.g. marriage, hajj.
  27. On salaries, we should deduct taxes, national insurance etc and then work out how much zakah on due.
  28. If I’ve lent someone money I pay zakah on that money only if and when I have it back.

6 comments:

hema said...

my tentative guesses.

1. Zakah is for the poor only-false
2. Zakah is an annual charity- true
3. Zakah is 2.5% of all wealth- false
4. Zakah was made obligatory is Makkah, not later on in Madinah- flase
5. No-one can be forced to give zakah- flase
6. People in the UK don’t really need zakah; the real poor are in "third world" countries- false
7. Slaves don’t have to pay zakah- false
8. Children don’t have to pay zakah- true
9. The mentally deficient do not have to pay zakah- true
10. Those in debt do not have to pay zakah.
11. There is no zakah to be paid on inheritance money- flase
12. If I give zakah to a charity and they lose it or give it to the wrong person I have to re-pay that zakah- true
13. If wealth has been in your possession for a solar year and above the nisab, zakah is obligatory- true
14. The nisab is fixed and doesn’t change from year to year- flase
15. Anyone who doesn’t pay zakah has apostated- true
16. Zakah is only obligatory on some luxuries, not the necessities or essentials of life- false
17. All types of agricultural produce have zakah levied on them- true
18. If I buy a car with the intention of selling it but use it in the meantime before a good price is offered, I have to pay zakah if a year passes- true
19. If I buy a car with the intention to use it but also intend if a good price is offered I will consider selling it, I have to pay zakah if a year passes- true (what's the difference?)
20. If I put my house up for sale and thus it is on the market, I have to pay zakah on the selling value after the hawl passes even if it hasn’t been sold yet and even if I’m still living in it or renting it out- true
21. If I have a business I have to pay zakah on my profits as well as the value of my stock, if a year passes and it is above the nisab- true
22. One should combine the value of all their wealth – jewellery, cash in hand, cash in the bank, income from rent, inheritance money, antiques, cattle etc and then work our the overall zakah- false
23. Zakah money can be used to aid poor people to get married- false
24. Zakah is not obligatory on wealth that has been earned in a haram way- false (because two wrongs don't equal a right, right? would this be the same ruling as with interest- you give it to charity but do not get the reward for it)
25. If you did not pay zakah on your wealth when you were not practising you should estimate how much you should have paid and pay it- true
26. Zakah does not have to be paid on money that is being saved for e.g. marriage, hajj- flase
27. On salaries, we should deduct taxes, national insurance etc and then work out how much zakah on due- true
28. If I’ve lent someone money I pay zakah on that money only if and when I have it back- true

don't shout at me if they're wrong. i kep thinking they may be trick questions! give me a mark out of 28 (please)

hema said...

or i only just realised there is a "it depends" option, i could have done with that! let me know if you want me to resubmit it or if it's fine as it is. i'm hoping for at least 20/28

Saabirah said...

Of course I won't shout at you :-). I'll put the answers next week after I actually do the circle insha'Allah. JazakAllah khair for having a go love.

Anonymous said...

Do you know of any good info that we can read up on before next week inshAllah?

Saabirah said...

Assalamu alaikum Emma! Nice to see you on my blog :-).

Extra reading - there's not really much easy-to-follow resources available on zakah; if there is then it's stuff I personally don't find easy to follow. That's why for me this course was invaluable. If you like you can browse the threads on the Price Of Salvation forum http://forums.alkauthar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7 and read through this article by JIMAS on the importance of keeping zakah within ones' own country http://www.jimas.org/zakat.doc. Other than that I can't really recommend anything that I've personally read. Sorry.

Saabirah said...

14 right hema. For the "it depends" and instead have answered in one word without explaining I haven't marked you correct; if I had you would have got 15 and a half. I'm gonna put the answers up as soon as I've tweaked them insha'Allah.